Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Concert Review - The Airborne Toxic Event


First of all, I apologize for the delay in posting this review. I've been traveling for work in Panama the past week, and dealt with some very spotty wifi. Prior to leaving, I took in a show at the State Theater in St. Pete - The Airborne Toxic Event

I wasn't too familiar with this 5 piece group from Los Angeles, outside of hearing their more well known tunes on the radio. But the opportunity to check out a small venue show persuading me, and I'm sure glad I attended. The alt rockers treated the crowd to a very pleasant and enjoyable concert. 

This was actually the first show on The Airborne Toxic Events mini spring tour. Frontman Mikel Jollett and his crew came out playing fan favorite "Wishing Well," one of their first hits off their self titled debut album in 2008. It set the tone, and really gave off the impression that the band was happy to be performing again.

What separates this band from so many other alt rock groups, is there use of string instruments and their timely orchestral inserts. Violinist Ana Bulbrook was very enjoyable to watch, mixing it up from the standard rock sound and also adding backing vocals. This was especially noticeable during the first half of the concert, which I believe was the strongest section. 

Playing material off all three of their albums, the group got the crowd going. My favorite tune was "Gasoline," a feel good head bobbing song that sounds like it belongs on an OAR album. They followed this up with "Changing," the lead single off sophomore album All at Once

Other stand outs included "Hell and Back," and a great sing a long version of "Missy." After a brief moment where it seemed like the band lost some momentum, they played their most popular song, "Sometime Around Midnight." The beginning of this alternative anthem was epic, as Bulbrook took center stage with her violin to play the opening cords. It only got better from there, as the entire song is a crescendo with Jollett giving it his all. This tune deservingly won iTunes Alt-Rock Song of the Year in 2009 and is worthy of a placement on Arcade Fire's Funeral

After finishing off the 15-song set, Airborne Toxic Event had three encores, highlighted by "Timeless," off their most recent album, Such Hot Blood. In total, the group played for just over 90 minutes. 

This was a very surprisingly pleasant concert for me. I knew I would enjoy the hit songs, but Airborne Toxic Event made me a fan with their musical talents and ability to not lose the crowd. I'll be sure to catch them next time they're in the Tampa Bay Area, and I encourage you to do the same. 

CONCERT RATING: 3 Stars

*Due to lack of videos from the show I attended, the above clip was taken from their 2013 performance at Coachella.

SETLIST:

1. Wishing Well
2. Numb
3. Half of Something Else
4. Gasoline
5. Changing
6. Does This Mean You're Moving On?
7. Hell and Back
8. Something New
9. Missy
10. Bride and Groom
11. Happiness Is Overrated
12. Safe
13. Welcome to Your Wedding Day
14. Sometime Around Midnight
15. All I Ever Wanted

Encore:
16. Timeless
17. The Graveyard Near the House
18. All at Once

*I'm posting this at the beginning of a big concert week. One of my favorites and recipient of my 2012 concert of the year, Young the Giant, will be at Jannus tonight! Very anxious for that. Also, Bronze Radio Return will be in Ybor Thursday playing at Crowbar, with local favorite Mercy McCoy opening up for them. Should be a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment